Friday, May 14, 2010

My Friday Night Confession....or how I REALLY made the Mexican Lasagna....

I must confess. I did not make Sweet and Spicy Cashew Chicken Stir Fry tonight. Why you ask? Well lemme fill you in. Wednesday I was tired. So I called Jimmy and he cooked. MMMMMMM MMMMMMM MMMMMM DE-YA Jimmy makes a good ginger beef :)

So last night we did the pork chop thing and tonight, well tonight I made the Mexican Lasagna. Well kinda. The recipe....didn't follow. The original recipe looked like this, my modifications are in red....

Thursday - Mexican Lasagna
Ingredients

1 lb lean ground beef
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning cumin, chili pepper, minced garlic, minced onion, garlic powder, garlic salt TO TASTE
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce (low sodium) 1 can stewed diced tomatoes
16 ounces salsa or picante sauce
1 2 cup light cottage cheese
1 eggs
8 corn tortillas
4 ounces light monterey jack cheese, shredded didn't have
1 can refried beans
1/2 red pepper
1/2 yellow pepper
4 ounces light cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Brown ground beef, drain (if necessary).
Add seasoning packet seasonings, onion, tomato sauce and salsa. tomatoes
Simmer 5-7 minutes.
Combine cottage cheese and egg in small bowl.
Spray 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
Assemble lasagna in the following order: 2 tortilla shells, spread refried beans, 1/2 meat mixture, 1/2 tortillas, 1/2 cottage cheese mixture, 1/2 cheese, repeat.
Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Confused?  Me too.  Serve with wine, it'll be ok...I promise :)

Photobucket

3 comments:

shauna said...

So how did it taste what with all your changes? I never make the same recipe twice unfortunately. I am a tweaker by nature...

Julie M. said...

I can't stick to a recipe either. I just enjoy making it my own a bit too much. This looks good! Your husband's ginger beef doesn't sound half bad either.

Unknown said...

It was really yummy Shauna! I would definitely make it again!